TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Arsenal manager Emery refused recalls for Nelson & Chambersby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal manager Unai Emery has been blocked from recalling Reiss Nelson and Calum Chambers.As injuries have begun to pile-up at the Emirates, Emery is desperate for reinforcements this month.However, BBC claims Nelson and Chambers will not be recalled from their successful loan spells.18-year-old Nelson has excelled for Hoffenheim this season, while Chambers has also impressed with Arsenal’s Premier League rivals, Fulham.Emery has seen defenders Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding, Shkodran Mustafi, Nacho Monreal, Saed Kolasinac and Laurent Koscielny all to succumb to injuries in recent weeks.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Everton boss Marco Silva: Winning most important thing in FA Cupby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton did enough to see off FA Cup opponents Lincoln City 2-1 on Saturday.Ademola Lookman, with his first goal in 394 days, and Bernard put the hosts ahead inside 14 minutes but they struggled once Michael Bostwick pulled one back.”First, we achieved the main thing which was to play the next round in the competition,” Everton manager Marco Silva said.”It looks in some moments that we didn’t like to have a quiet afternoon. But for 20 minutes we did well, we started with intensity, with some good moments, the second goal was a good finish.”After that we lost focus completely and gave them hope and is something that has happened with our team during the last few games and is something we have to stop as quick as we can.”He added: “The game is always open until we score the third goal, we didn’t score the third goal but we achieved the main thing to be in the next round.”
Lokonga walks back Barcelona, Man City rumoursby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAlbert Sambi Lokonga has denied he’s angling to leave Anderlecht.The 19 year-old attacker has been offered to Barcelona, Manchester City and Sevilla by agents with his contract due to expire in June.However, Lokonga insists his priority is to stay with the Belgian giants.”My priority is to stay two more years in Anderlecht,” said the midfielder.Anderlecht are eager to tie down Lokonga to new terms. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Rafael Garcia thrilled with first pro Everton dealby Paul Vegas2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveRafael Garcia has signed a first pro Everton deal until the end of June 2022 after turning 17 earlier this month.A first pro deal is a reward for the youngster despite confirmation that he will miss the rest of this season, having suffered an ACL injury while in pre-season.”Signing a first pro contract is a huge thing and hopefully it will be the start of something big,” Garcia told evertonfc.com.”I’ve had so much help since I’ve joined Everton, from my teammates, my coaches and the staff.”The people at Everton are very nice and very kind. The transition has been easy.”It is a great club to be at, with a brilliant history.”Getting the injury was a blow but the aim is to get back for pre-season next year and be stronger and fitter than I was.”
Arsenal extended their woeful record in away fixtures against the Premier League’s top-six as they lost 5-1 to Liverpool on Saturday – the second time in five seasons they’ve let in five goals at Anfield.Ainsley Maitland-Niles had briefly given Unai Emery’s Gunners the lead before Liverpool let rip on their bewildered opponents, scoring four goals in a whirlwind first half that was reminiscent of the blitzkrieg defeat suffered by Arsene Wenger’s team in February 2014.Roberto Firmino scored two in three minutes to turn the game in the hosts’ favour, before Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah confounded the Gunners’ misery before half-time. Firmino completed his hat-trick in the second half when he coverted the Reds’ second penalty of the night. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? And Arsenal have now gone 20 Premier League games away from home against their top-six rivals since registering a victory, losing 13 of them. They have also lost on 10 of their last 12 visits against those sides.Not since January 2015 have the Gunners managed to win at the home of one of their rivals, that a 2-0 win at Manchester City secured with goals from Santi Cazorla and Olivier Giroud.And Saturday’s loss was the fourth time in the Premier League that the team have conceded four first-half goals, having done so at Manchester United in 2001, at Chelsea in 2014 and during their previous Anfield thrashing.It represents a continuation of a worrying trend – some of Arsenal’s most catastrophic league defeats have happened in the last five years.The club were top of the table when Brendan Rodgers’ Reds scored five in a masterclass orchestrated Raheem Sterling and Luis Suarez in 2014, and followed it up just weeks later by letting in six against Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea in Wenger’s 1000th game as manager.They also lost 6-3 to Manchester City that same season, in a year in which they spent more days than any other side leading at the top of the table before losing out by seven points and finishing fourth.And the cycle of thrashing has even deeper roots. A Wayne Rooney-inspired Manchester United put eight past the beleaguered Gunners in August 2011, on the same ground where Dwight Yorke scored a 19-minute hat-trick in February 2001, as Arsenal lost 6-1 at Old Trafford.Emery’s side sit two points outside the top-four with fourth-place Chelsea holding a game in hand over their Champions League rivals. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web
Gonzalo Higuain dedicated his winner for AC Milan against SPAL to Gennaro Gattuso after the striker ended his goal drought in a 2-1 victory.Higuain had gone nine games without a goal going into Saturday’s contest at San Siro, and rarely looked like breaking his duck in a largely unconvincing display.However, he struck the decisive blow from close range in the 64th minute as Milan, who saw Suso sent off late on, ended a run of five games without a win by coming from a goal down, Samu Castillejo having initially cancelled out Andrea Petagna’s opener. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? There had been reports Gattuso could be sacked if Milan failed to claim a positive result, but the Rossoneri now head into a two-week break on a high ahead of a Coppa Italia clash with Sampdoria and the Suppercoppa Italiana meeting with Juventus.Back to winning ways! Good job, boys!Torniamo alla vittoria! Dai Milan! #MilanSpal 2-1 pic.twitter.com/TK1q7SN1u9— AC Milan (@acmilan) December 29, 2018And Higuain was quick to pay tribute to his coach after they moved within a point of the Champions League places.”It was an important goal and three fundamental points after all we’ve wasted before, but now we can have a rest with our families,” the striker told DAZN.”It’s natural the fans expect more from me. I came to Milan because I was convinced by the project here and I want to continue like this.”Gattuso has always supported me and above all been honest. This goal is for him. Now we’ve got the Supercoppa, it’s the first trophy of the season and we want to win.”
Liverpool defender Joe Gomez and Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish can help to solve the problems which continue to hold England back, claims Stan Collymore.The Three Lions are currently reflecting on another semi-final setback on the international stage.Having reached the last four of the 2018 World Cup, Gareth Southgate’s side progressed to the same point of the inaugural Nations League. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? They were, however, to come unstuck against the Netherlands, with long-standing frailties once again being exposed.England are seeking to embrace a ball-playing philosophy that sees them build from the back, but costly mistakes and a perceived lack of midfield creativity are stunting their progress.Former Three Lions striker Collymore believes he has a solution, telling The Mirror: “John Stones in central defence made two dreadful errors in the semi-final against Holland.“And if Joe Gomez does well in pre-season or early next season then I’d love to see the Liverpool youngster get a chance alongside Harry Maguire in the Euro qualifiers against Bulgaria and Kosovo in September.“The great thing about Gomez is that he can play at full-back or centrally.“And if he gets to play alongside Virgil van Dijk for the Reds then we can guarantee that, sooner rather than later, he’ll be pushing Stones for his place.“Gomez perhaps isn’t the footballing centre-half that Stones is, but you know he’s not going to be trying Cruyff turns in his own box.“He’s a good, solid, mobile, footballing defender who would work quite well alongside Maguire.”Collymore added: “I was out in Portugal for the game against the Dutch and plenty of England fans said the same thing: ‘Oh, for a creative midfielder’.We’ve plenty of options in central midfield with Jordan Henderson, Eric Dier, Declan Rice – who can also play in central defence – Ross Barkley and Dele Alli.“But we still don’t quite seem to have someone who can open up the best teams in the international game.“So I’m going to stick Jack Grealish into the mix now he’s back in the Premier League, because here’s a man who gets the ball, drifts past people and plays little passes with the outside of the foot that can bamboozle opponents.“A lot will of course depend on how Aston Villa take to top-flight football again – you only have to look at the way Fulham’s struggles impacted on Ryan Sessegnon to know that.“But if Villa do well then he could be given an opportunity because he’s one of those players who will identify little pockets around the pitch and exploit them.“With Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane in front of him, the prospect of Grealish could be very exciting for England.”Grealish, who is now 23 years of age, is yet to make a senior England squad.He has previously won seven caps at U-21 level, having switched international allegiance from the Republic of Ireland.
Rising U.S. national team star Christian Pulisic refused a move to Manchester United because of his father’s dislike of Jose Mourinho. According Robin Walker, who coached Pulisic at non-League side Brackley Town in 2005, the Chelsea attacker never contemplated going to Old Trafford because of their former coach. Mourinho’s poor track record of giving youth a chance saw Pulisic’s father all but block the potential move with the 20-year-old instead signing for the Blues in January with Walker’s encouragement. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? “He wouldn’t go to Manchester United because of Jose Mourinho,” Walker told The Telegraph. “His father couldn’t stand Mourinho because he didn’t promote young players.”It was at that point I asked, ‘What about London? That’s where it’s at.'”I’m a Chelsea fan, I grew up in London supporting them. When I was in Dortmund last year, I told him that he had to come.”Signing for Chelsea at the start of the year before being loaned straight back to Borussia Dortmund, Pulisic has started the Premier League season at Stamford Bridge and the early signs are encouraging. After starting and claiming an assist in the Blues UEFA Super Cup loss to Liverpool, the American winger played 71 minutes against Leicester City on the weekend with his coach impressed with what’s he’s been seeing. “I am really happy with him,” Lampard said last week.”There is lots, lots more to come. Again, [he’s showing] all the good signs for what he can be for the club.”The expectancy is right, he is a big signing for us but you have to remember his age.”While Lampard is looking to keep Pulisic grounded, former Blues striker Tony Cascarino recently declared the attacker could one day match Eden Hazard’s quality. “Christian Pulisic looks like he will be a very dangerous player for Chelsea,” Cascarino told The Times. “I don’t remember a young Eden Hazard being as quick and direct and there’s no reason Pulisic can’t develop into a player of Hazard’s standing.“Pulisic reminds me of Arjen Robben, you cannot stop him one-on-one because you don’t know which way he’s going to go and his pace is devastating.“He will be a massive asset for Frank Lampard this season.”
LINCOLN, NE – SEPTEMBER 15: Head coach Scott Frost of the Nebraska Cornhuskers watches late game action against the Troy Trojans at Memorial Stadium on September 15, 2018 in Lincoln, Nebraska. (Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images)Nebraska head coach Scott Frost has named his starting quarterback for the 2018 season opener taking place on Saturday night. It’s a popular pick.Adrian Martinez, a four-star true freshman, has been named QB1 for the Huskers’ season opener Week 1. Nebraska is set to host Akron in Lincoln, Neb.The choice of Martinez is not that surprising, but the true freshman quarterback was in a heavy competition with Tristan Gebbia, another former four-star recruit.Martinez was arguably the biggest recruit of Frost’s initial 2018 recruiting class at Nebraska. The Huskers received his commitment late in the cycle following his hiring.The 6-foot-2, 220-pound quarterback has now been listed Nebraska’s starting quarterback for the season opener on Sept. 1.And there it is! @HuskerFBNation just announced Adrian Martinez as the #1 QB for Akron…plenty of chatter about that and the first game week on @HuskerSports Sports Nightly tomorrow at 6! #Huskers pic.twitter.com/ZxccztMgmJ— Nate Rohr (@RohrOfTheCrowd) August 26, 2018Martinez was one of the top quarterback recruits in the country in the 2018 class. He has now become the first-ever true freshman to start behind center for a Nebraska season-opening game.Bruce Feldman is impressed.“True freshman Adrian Martinez is listed as Nebraska’s starting QB.. impressive kid. A very fast, mature 220-pounder from California who is a good fit for Scott Frost’s system,” he tweeted.True freshman Adrian Martinez is listed as #Nebraska’s starting QB.. impressive kid. A very fast, mature 220-pounder from California who is a good fit for Scott Frost’s system.— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) August 26, 2018Nebraska and Akron are set to kick off at 8 p.m. E.T. on Sept. 1. The game will be televised on FOX.
EAST LANSING, MI – OCTOBER 29: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines looks on during warm ups prior to playing the Michigan State Spartans at Spartan Stadium on October 29, 2016 in East Lansing, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Michigan wide receiver Tarik Black missed 10 games a season ago after having surgery on his left foot. Unfortunately, it looks like he’s going to miss significant time this season as well – because of a right football injury.Black was reported to have injured his right foot at practice this past Saturday. Monday, head coach Jim Harbaugh provided an update for reporters. Black has a broken right foot and will be out “some weeks.”Black, it seems at a minimum, will be missing his team’s big opener against Notre Dame this weekend.Black, in three games last season, had 11 receptions for 149 yards. He was considered the team’s top option heading into this season.Jim Harbaugh confirms what we reported yesterday about #Michigan’s top WR Tarik Black. It’s a fracture in his foot, and he says he will be out “for some weeks.” UM opens with #NotreDame this week. https://t.co/XEzZnbuUxR— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) August 27, 2018Michigan’s first four games come against Notre Dame, Western Michigan, SMU and Nebraska. It’s unclear if Black will miss more time than that.Donovan Peoples-Jones and Nico Collins are expected to see more action as a result of Black’s injury.Michigan and Notre Dame will face off at 7:30 PM ET on September 1.