A Chittenden County Superior Court judge denied today a Vermont State Employees Association request for a restraining order against the Douglas Administration. The state workers’ union sought the order against the administration to stop it from laying off more than 120 state employees, approximately 100 of whom were scheduled to begin departing state government today.In a written statement, VSEA Director Jes Kraus said: “Our heart goes out to the hundred employees who are being, in our views, unnecessarily forced out the jobs that they work so hard at. VSEA will continue pursuing every option available to us in our efforts to avoid more senseless layoffs.” In any case, the administration maintains that it has the right to layoff workers, as it always has, and will go ahead with its plan to do so. It expects the action to save about $13 million through this job action in the coming fiscal year. VSEA s complaint asserted that the layoffs violate the Appropriations Act, which went into effect June 2 over Governor Douglas’ veto. The Act specifically prohibits the administration from proceeding with layoffs unless they are first submitted as part of a plan that is vetted and approved by the Legislature s Joint Fiscal Committee. However, a companion bill passed Wednesday to the Act (the state budget) somewhat changed the language of that section. Attorney General Sorrell had offered an opinion to legislative leaders suggesting the language might be unconstitutional, which is a point Governor Douglas previously had made. Also at issue is that the state budget technically does not kick in until the start of the new fiscal year July 1, calling into question whether the layoff language, right or wrong, can even be applied during the current fiscal year. Nor has the governor signed nor vetoed the companion bill. In an effort to not have to file this lawsuit, VSEA did send a letter to Secretary Lunderville on Tuesday, asking the administration to rescind the RIFs, but we never heard back, said VSEA Director Kraus. That silence forced VSEA to take the action we will tomorrow (Thursday), as we believe the Legislature s veto override means the governor must now follow the law, whether he approves or not.
The Club of Underwater Activities “Explorer” from Sarajevo in cooperation with the Olympic pool Otoka today opens another underwater exhibition of sculptures.Everything is ready for today’s unique underwater exhibition at the Olympic pool Otoka in Sarajevo. Colleagues from the diving club AdriatiCro from Zagreb and President of the Croatian Diving Association Kamilo Culjak with members of H-vidra Split yesterday arrived in Sarajevo.Some of the representatives of BH diving clubs joined them yesterday, while some of them came today to the start of the exhibition.Visitors who want to dive have to bring the standard equipment for the pool, while everything else will be provided at the pool.The exhibition is aimed at promoting diving as a recreational and sports activity, to introduce visitors with the work of the club as well as the training process. On the exhibition will be presented sculptures by Zlatan Hamamdzic, works of graphic designer Una Cardzic and photographs of members of the club.The exhibition is taking place from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm.(Source: klix.ba)