September 22

Barca sack sporting director Eric Abidal

first_imgRelatedPosts Suarez agrees Atletico terms Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Messi scores twice in Barca friendly Barcelona have terminated the contract of sporting director Eric Abidal a day after sacking head coach Quique Setien.The move is one of “many changes” set to take place at the Catalan club following their 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final on Friday. A statement read: “The club publicly expresses its gratitude to Eric Abidal for the professionalism, commitment, dedication and positive and close treatment he has always shown towards all the estates that make up the Barça family, and wishes him luck and success in the future.”Abidal, 40, played for Barcelona from 2007 to 2013, winning four league titles and the Champions League twice.After retiring he returned to the club as the director of football in June 2018, replacing Roberto Fernandez.Abidal had at times proved a divisive figure during his two-year spell as sporting director, having blamed the players for Ernesto Valverde’s departure back in January.Lionel Messi called on Abidal to name names following the accusations, adding: “We are all being dirtied and it feeds comments that are made and are not true.” Abidal played a key role in selecting Setien as Valverde’s successor, and some eight months later he has now followed the head coach out the door at the Nou Camp.Ronald Koeman is on the brink of becoming the club’s new head coach, while it remains to be seen who will take Abidal’s palce.The club have also brought forward the presidential elections to March next year, with Victor Font a frontrunner to take Josep Maria Bartomeu’s place.Tags: BarcelonaEric AbidalErnesto Valverde’sLionel MessiNou CampQuique Setienronald koemanlast_img read more

September 19

Jaguars Franchise League 3-Day tourney reaches penultimate stage

first_img… Young Chanderpaul hungry for more runsBy Rajiv BisnauthWEST Demerara opening batsman Tagenarine Chanderpaul says he is hungry for more runs as the inaugural Jaguars Franchise League Three-day tournament approaches the final two rounds.The 20-year-old was the shining light with the bat for West Demerara in the last round, where he produced a fabulous effort to register his first hundred in the tournament, 187 against Georgetown.The left-handed batsman’s superb concentration and insatiable appetite for batting have made him West Demerara’s most consistent batsman.Chanderpaul (449) is just 16 runs behind Jonathan Foo, who is the leading scorer with 465.He is also one of five players to have registered a century after five rounds of the eight-team tournament. Sherfane Rutherford, Kevon Boodie, Keemo Paul and Foo are the others to have achieved that milestone. Foo is the only batsman with two hundreds.“I am feeling confident, and at the same time hungry for more runs,” Chanderpaul told Chronicle Sport yesterday.On the other hand, left-arm spinner Kassim Khan leads the wickets tally, with 29.The tournament continues today with four matches countrywide.Table toppers Lower Corentyne and West Demerara will clash at the Tuschen Community Centre ground.Lower Corentyne have played unbeaten in the eight-team tournament so far, and in the process have accumulated 86.1 points, 22.5 points ahead of West Demerara.Other matches in the penultimate round will see West Berbice play Georgetown at the Young Warriors ground in Cumberland, Berbice; Essequibo host East Coast Demerara at the Iman Bacchus ground while East Bank and Upper Corentyne clash at the Everest Cricket Club ground.The points standings for the remaining teams read: Georgetown (59.3), Upper Corentyne (34.8), Essequibo (30.5), West Berbice (29), East Bank (25.1) and Georgetown (24.4).Apart from the Three-day competition, the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) also has in the pipeline a Jaguars 50-over League and the Jaguars Premier League T20 tournament.Replacing the traditional Inter-county competition, the leagues will be streamlined to feed into the WICB’s Professional Cricket League (PCL) Four-day competition and the Regional Super50, as well as the Caribbean Premier League T20.last_img read more

August 13

UPDATED STORY — Upmeyer stepping down as speaker of Iowa House

first_imgDES MOINES — The first female speaker of the Iowa House is stepping down.“It’s been a huge privilege and honor to do the job, whether you’re male or female, but I’m particularly I guess touched and privileged that I got to be the first woman to do it,” House Speaker Linda Upmeyer of Clear Lake told reporters this afternoon during a news conference on the House floor.Upmeyer will serve out the last 14 months of her current term in the Iowa House, but she told her Republican colleagues earlier today that they should choose a new speaker to take over in January when the 2020 legislature convenes.“The last few years I’ve known the end was in sight. You know, I wasn’t sure exactly when, but I knew I was getting ready to spend more time with family, do other things,” Upmeyer said. “and it just became a really sharp contrast this spring and summer when the family was here that that’s what I needed to do.”Upmeyer, who is 67 years old, told reporters she wants to spend more time with her grandchildren who live in the Des Moines area and Washington state.“And my husband will appreciate having me around a little more, I think. We’ll find out, I guess,” Upmeyer said, laughing.Upmeyer, though, indicated she’ll help other GOP candidates run for office and might take another job in politics, if one materializes.“You never when an amazing opportunity and something you’re really interested in doing comes up and I would never rule that out,” Upmeyer said, “but for right now, I’m going to take an opportunity to go visit some family and go do some things.”Upmeyer, who lives in Iowa’s fourth congressional district, did say she will not run in the GOP primary against Congressman Steve King.Upmeyer told reporters she has no regrets about her tenure in the legislature.“You know people ask you when you start in the legislature and after you’ve served a few years: ‘How long are you going to stay? How long do you think you’ll be around?’ And I can remember when I was elected and I saw people that were here like 10 years and I thought: ‘Wow, 10 years here. Are you kidding me?’ Well, here I am,” Upmeyer said. “I’m at 17 and it will be 18 (years).”Upmeyer will turn over responsibility for the House elections in 2020 to her successor. It’s what happened to Upmeyer in November of 2015 when House Speaker Kraig Paulsen stepped down mid-term and Upmeyer became speaker-elect. Upmeyer said it let her guide the legislative record the House GOP would run on and, as speaker, she was better able to raise money for the campaign.“All of those things I found helpful, so I think that was a good thing to do for my successor,” Upmeyer said, “and I can still help in the background, in the wings and maybe kind of double-down on the opportunity.”House Republicans will meet in the next seven to 10 days to choose Upmeyer’s successor and that person will have the title of Speaker-elect until January when the full House elects its speaker.Upmeyer’s father, Del Stromer, was a long-time lawmaker who served as speaker of the House for two years, in 1981 and 1982. Upmeyer currently serves House District 54, which includes Clear Lake, the western third of Cerro Gordo County, all of Franklin County, and the northern and western portions of Butler County.last_img read more