MGN ImageALBANY — New York’s governor signed an executive order Wednesday recognizing Juneteenth as a paid holiday for state employees to commemorate the emancipation of slaves in the U.S.Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he will propose legislation next year making June 19 a permanent state holiday. Such a bill is already before the legislature.“It is a day we should all reflect upon. It is a day that is especially relevant in this moment in history,” Cuomo said.Several states already observe Juneteenth, which has its historical roots in Texas, the first state to make it a state holiday in 1980. President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation was effective Jan. 1, 1863, but the news took time to travel. It wasn’t until June 19, 1865, when word of the proclamation was brought by the Union army to enslaved people in Galveston, Texas, making them among the last to be freed.Virginia’s governor proposed making Juneteenth a state holiday there earlier this week.Protesters nationwide have called for action to address the nation’s legacy of racial oppression and discrimination in the wake of Minneapolis police officers killing George Floyd.“I want to be a force for change, and I want to help synergize this moment,” Cuomo said. “Whether it’s reform on police department, whether it’s an expanded racial understanding and sensitivity and progress. And if Juneteenth is part of that, and the recognition of what happened and an understanding of what happened, great.”Cuomo’s announcement also comes as he calls for local police departments across the state to seriously tackle reform over the next few months. The governor has set an April, 2021 deadline for communities to pass concrete reforms or miss out on state aid for police departments.New York Assemblywoman Alicia Hyndman, a Democrat, introduced a bill last week to make Junenteeth a public holiday in honor of “black and African-American freedom and achievements.”“As a state, it is our duty to recognize and celebrate June Nineteenth, not only by adopting resolutions, but by pausing statewide to acknowledge and reflect on a day that changed the trajectory of the lives of most Blacks and African Americans being held as slaves in U.S,” Hyndman said in a memo filed in support of the legislation. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Platts:Germany plans to close 4 GW of hard coal-fired plants via a first annual compensation auction in June 2020, an energy ministry spokeswoman told S&P Global Platts Tuesday.Compensation for closures is to be awarded to bidders offering the lowest cost of avoided CO2 emissions with winning plants set to close after winter 2020/21. The federal grid regulator BNetzA is set to run the auctions, according to a second draft leaked Tuesday.The ministry is finalizing a hard coal exit law to cap hard coal capacity at 15 GW by end-2022. Assuming Datteln 4 comes online, Germany will have around 22 GW of hard coal capacity in operation as the compensation auctions get underway.The BNetzA is to establish exact volumes required to hit the 15 GW target depending on other closure applications, the outcome of various capacity reserve auctions and startup of Uniper’s 1.1 GW Datteln 4 plant. Commissioning of Datteln 4 is foreseen for summer 2020.Closure auctions thereafter are set to run annually until 2026, with hard coal capacity declining to 8 GW by end-2030.Details on 3 GW of lignite closures are expected at a later stage, with Eur40 billion ($44 billion) of support for lignite mining regions already approved. Germany plans to completely phase out coal by 2038.More: Germany plans 4 GW hard coal closure auction in 2020: draft law Draft law would begin German hard coal phaseout in 2020
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York New York State Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos (R-Rockville Centre) blasted a TV news report that said the longtime lawmaker is being investigated by the same federal prosecutors that recently charged his Democratic counterpart in the state Assembly.The NBC New York report, citing anonymous sources, said investigators are looking into Skelos’ income, along with his relationship with the real estate industry. Skelos’ spokeswoman released a statement Friday morning criticizing the report.“Last night’s thinly-sourced report by WNBC is irresponsible, and does not meet the standards of serious journalism,” the spokeswoman said. “Senator Skelos has not been contacted by anyone from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. As such, we won’t be commenting further.”Aside from his work in Albany, Skelos serves as counsel at the Uniondale-based corporate law firm Ruskin, Moscou & Faltischek. He regained leadership of the state Senate after Republicans won the majority in the November elections.The purported investigation comes just a week after the U.S. Attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York rocked Albany’s political circle to its core with the arrest of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Silver, who served as speaker for more than two decades, was accused of using his political power to pad his pockets. Silver is reportedly expected to be replaced Monday.Skelos is equally as powerful. Along with Silver and Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Skelos is part of the influential group known as the “three men in the room.” Together, the trio negotiates the legislative agenda.The U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan is believed to be conducting a wide-ranging investigation into Albany politics. The probe began after the now-defunct Moreland Commission was unceremoniously shut down by Cuomo last year. Federal prosecutors have reportedly picked up where the commission left off.Federal investigators have a policy of not confirming or denying the existence of investigations, but Preet Bharara, the U.S. Attorney in Manhattan leading the Albany probe, told reporters last week to “stay tuned” after Silver’s arrest.
“They are taking care our evacuees very well,” said Treñas in a recent press conference. “We are grateful to the Ayala group and the Philippine Air Force for their support that allowed us to continue to support the needs of the affected communities. Ayala Foundation and Ayala Coop donated the meal packs from Rise Against Hunger Philippines, a hunger relief non-profit organization that coordinates the packaging and distribution of food and other aid to vulnerable communities,” AC Energy Philippines said in a statement. Helping in the unloading of the cargo were members of the Philippine Air Force, the 52nd Air Force Group Reserve and TOG-6. Treñas said the city government is ready to forego legal action against the company “kun masabat man lang tanan nga requirements sang pumoluyo ta.”/PN AC Energy Philippines turned over 1,500 Fortified Meal Packs for rapid distribution to the residents of Barangay Bo. Obrero in Lapuz district and those in Manduriao and Jaro districts. The city mayor revealed that the Ayala conglomerate has expressed intention to carry out more projects such as helping repair public schools and introducing education programs in oil-spill affected barangays. A private aircraft owned by the business conglomerate landed in the city recently, bringing in food packs and relief goods for families in Lapuz district, one of the areas severely affected by the July 3 oil spill. The oil spill was preceded by an explosion of still unknown origin. Its other affiliates like Ayala Foundation, Ayala Coop, Rise Against Hunger, and Ayala Business Club also contributed. AC Energy Philippines owned Power Barge 102 that accidentally spilled bunker fuel into the coast of Iloilo City affecting several barangays, as well as coastal parts of Iloilo province and Guimaras. Uniformed officers help move boxes of food packs and relief goods from a private aircraft of AC Energy Philippines at the Iloilo Airport in Cabatuan, Iloilo. After this, the boxes are carefully disinfected to make sure they are free from the coronavirus. These goods are for families affected by the recent oil spill. RELIEF GOODS The donated boxes were flown in by the Philippine Air Force while the other Ayala business units, namely, Ayala Business Club, Seda Hotels, Globe Telecom and AC Motors, provided logistical support. Each Fortified Meal Pack contained rice, soy, dried vegetables and fruits enriched with vitamins and minerals, and enough to feed a family of eight to 12 members. In Lapuz, Treñas said, the company was also eyeing to fix roads in barangays Bo. Obrero and Mansaya. Mayor Jerry Treñas welcomed AC Energy Philippines’ continued help. Aside from the tons of relief goods, Ayala companies also gave out boxes of facemasks for the residents. “I am satisfied with what they are doing,” said Treñas. The power firm immediately acted to help the affected families, setting in motion their community reintegration while also distributing thousands of food packs. ILOILO City – Citing the ongoing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, AC Energy Philippines remains committed to sustain its assistance to families affected by the recent oil spill in the waters off this city and Guimaras Island even after completing their community reintegration. According to the mayor, he was pleasantly surprised that AC Energy Philippines housed in several hotels the families displaced by the oil spill to address problems in schools that were initially used as evacuation centers. The boxes were carefully disinfected upon discharge to make sure they were free from the coronavirus.