FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:A consortium led by French state-owned utility EDF has won a contract for a major 600 megawatt (MW) offshore wind project near Dunkirk in western France, Environment Minister Francois de Rugy said on Friday.EDF’s bid in partnership with Germany’s Innogy and Canada’s Enbridge beat rivals including utility Engie in partnership with Portugal’s EDPR and energy group Total in partnership with Denmark’s OrstedThe ministry said the tariff proposed by the winning consortium was significantly lower than 50 euros per megawatt hour (MWh). That compares with 63 euros/MWh for an onshore wind tender of around 516 MW that was awarded by the government on Wednesday. It also said the price was comparable to the best prices seen in European offshore wind projects and demonstrated the competitiveness of the French wind industry.The wind farm will have forty-five wind turbines producing 2.3 terawatt hours of electricity per year from 2026, equivalent to the consumption of around 500,000 French households.EDF, which operates France’s 58 nuclear reactors that accounts for over 75 percent of the country’s electricity needs, is rapidly expanding into wind and solar generation. Its EDF Renewables subsidiary, which manages around 13 gigawatts (GW) of installed capacity globally, has a project portfolio of more than 2 GW in France. It is negotiating to participate in two projects in China totaling 500 MW and also developing an area with a potential of 2,500 MW in the United States.“Our winning bid was highly competitive, and this has notably prompted the government to double the offshore wind power targets contained in its multi-year energy Plan, giving new development opportunities for EDF and all participants in the sector,” EDF’s CEO Jean-Bernard Levy said in a statement. The government said on Wednesday it would double the pace of developing offshore wind projects to 1 GW per year from around 500 MW previously as costs are falling.More: EDF consortium wins 600 MW Dunkirk offshore wind project EDF wins French offshore wind project with bid below 50 euros per MWh
A 10-year-old schoolboy was murdered while trying to prevent his mother being raped in Birem Bayeun district, East Aceh, last week.The alleged rapist, Samsul Bahri, 36, reportedly stabbed the boy, identified only as R, before putting his body in a sack and throwing it into a river.As reported by tribunnews.com, R and his 28-year-old mother lived near a community-owned plantation, far from residential areas in the district. Langsa Police criminal investigation unit head First. Insp. Arief S. Wibowo said the medical team had found several wounds to R’s shoulders, neck, jaw and hands, including his wrists and fingers.“The medical team suspects that the victim died from a cut to his left wrist,” said Arief.Read also: Aceh authorities suspend caning of child rapist after he suffers severe bruisingSamsul was apprehended by the police hiding under a large tree later the same evening, he attempted to resist arrest and warning shots were fired.Fadli Fajar, R’s biological father who separated from the boy’s mother two years ago, was unable to contain his grief when contacted on Tuesday. Since the separation R had lived with his father in Medan Selayang.“On 19 September, I just celebrated his 10th birthday,” said Fadli.Days after the birthday celebration, R’s mother took him to Aceh.“I could hardly believe it when I heard the news that he had died,” Fadli said, “I was told that before being killed, his mother ordered him to run, but he didn’t want to. Instead he fought.”R was a bright, cheerful and resolute lad, Fadli recalled. He was among the top-ranked pupils in his class and was able to read the Quran at a very young age.Fadli has demanded for justice for the murder. (syk)Topics : In the early hours of Oct. 10, R and his mother were sleeping in their house, while R’s stepfather was fishing on the river.Samsul is alleged to have entered the house and attempted to rape R’s mother, who resisted. The boy awoke and went to his mother’s aid, but Samsul reportedly slashed him with a machete, according to a statement by the mother.Samsul is then alleged to have bound the mother and fled with R’s body, which Samsul put in a sack before disposing it in a nearby river. The mother freed herself and raised the alarm in a nearby village.The police and residents conducted a search and the boy’s body was found floating in the river the following afternoon.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on June 29, 2016 at 10:24 pm Contact Matthew: email@example.com | @MatthewGut21 On an unusually warm night late last December, Alyssa Manley strapped a headlamp around her head, slipped on her shoes and walked out the door. Her family had just gotten home from seeing Alyssa’s grandmother for Christmas. It was dark and raining, but Manley hadn’t completed her workout that day.Manley ran sprints up and down the streets near her Lititz, Pennsylvania home. Nick Manley, one of Alyssa’s two older brothers, sent a text to his girlfriend, who had planned to see him that night. He told her in the text to watch out for Alyssa, who was one week away from starting offseason training with the United States National Team.“This is the first time in her entire life where she might not make it,” Nick Manley said in May. “It’s always been, she’s already on the team and starting.”More than seven months after winning an NCAA national championship at Syracuse, Manley did not know if she’d play in the Olympic Games, fewer than 40 days away. But on July 1, she became one of the 16 players selected to represent the United States in Rio de Janeiro.Manley is one of seven first-time Olympians rostered and the team’s only player to have played collegiately last fall. A primary defender, she’s the youngest player on the team.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textManley and the national team will play against India on July 18 and July 20, then Canada on July 26 before the Olympics begin next month. All three contests will be played at Spooky Nook Sports, an athletic complex about 8 miles from her house.For most of June, she played in the Champions Trophy, a London tournament featuring six of the world’s top seven ranked teams. Before that, save for a handful of games, she had been practicing with the national team every day at Spooky Nook Sports. Manley, 22, put her final semester at Syracuse on hold for a shot at Rio.“I’m excited. … It’s just so different,” Manley said of playing professionally. “It’s a whole new level. This is my job.”Lynn Farquhar, the head coach at St. Joseph’s University, was Alyssa’s first contact at Syracuse. Farquhar, then an SU assistant, remembers little from the day she first saw the 5-foot-2 Manley. The summer before Manley entered high school she still had an undeveloped skill set but innate balance and aggressiveness, Farquhar said.“She’s not a big person, but she played big,” Farquhar recalled. “You knew she had a fight in her.”Soon Manley was on the verge of earning a starting spot for the varsity team at Warwick (Pennsylvania) High School, a perennial powerhouse. During Manley’s sophomore year, head coach Bob Durr was looking for a midfielder who could not only attack on offense, but one who could also get back on defense within a few seconds.“And oh boy, we were fooling around with it at practice and I said OK, let’s try Alyssa Manley in the middle and see if she can handle this,” Durr said. “Well oh my God, me and the coaching staff all looked at each other going, ‘OK, I think we found our girl.’“We’re like, ‘My God she’s back in the defensive circle, how’d she get there so quick? She had just taken a shot on goal.’”Syracuse head coach Ange Bradley said Manley’s ability to dart left and right is one of her hallmarks. She was never the fastest player on the SU roster, but always the one running through the end lines during conditioning. She never came out of games, running about 10 miles per contest, Bradley estimates. The only position she didn’t play at SU was goalkeeper.Jessica Sheldon | Photo EditorIn the national championship game last year, North Carolina’s Nina Notman was getting good offensive chances. “Killing us,” Bradley said. She told Manley to stay on Notman and deny her the ball.“She really stepped up, took that responsibility,” Bradley said. “Her whole disposition and demeanor throughout the Final Four, what she was doing on defense — it was unbelievable.”Manley earned Syracuse’s shark attack award, which goes to the player who displays work ethic and competitiveness and also earned the Honda Award, which goes to the nation’s best player.“She’s set a new standard for Syracuse field hockey,” said Jess Jecko, former Orange goalkeeper who played with Manley for four years.To train for the Olympics, Manley wakes up around 7 a.m. to make breakfast: A couple egg whites, yogurt with granola, a banana and maybe some peanut butter. She’s eliminated sugary foods from her diet and avoids carbohydrates. She opts for turkey, burgers, chicken, vegetables and salads instead. Around the time her Rio-centric focus began, she didn’t eat a single Christmas cookie.In January, Manley struggled to do six pull-ups with 2 kilograms of extra weight. By early May she could do four sets of six pull-ups with 10 kilograms extra. At Syracuse a trainer said her body mass index was comparable to a cross country runner.“If you see her now,” her mother Nancy said. “Her brothers have been trying to look that way but can’t.”After a few months of training with the national team, Manley tried on her Syracuse jersey. It barely fit. “I can see it in her arms now,” Nancy said. “It’s like, woof! Even more so than at Syracuse.”Before earning first team All-State honors as a high school senior, she played on the U.S. U-17 National team. Last summer, she helped the U.S. earn gold at the Pan American Games in Toronto. She was the only college player there.After a game earlier this month against the Netherlands, the top-ranked team in the world, Manley texted her mother and pointed out how she felt tiny compared to the bigger players.In a game against New Zealand, Manley made a defensive stop in a late-game 1-on-1 situation that kept the game tied and sent the U.S. to the bronze medal game. On Sunday, the U.S. knocked off Australia to win bronze. Earlier this year, one of the national team veterans complimented Manley, saying she’s “annoying.” Yet Manley, a three-time All-American at Syracuse, was unsure whether she would make the team.“When you talk to her, she doesn’t really talk about it,” Bradley said in May. “At the end if she’s going to get picked, she’ll get picked. If not, she knows she did everything she could.”On July 1, Manley found out that her Olympic dreams turned real. Comments
The L.V. Rogers Bombers once again make it look easy in defending its Kootenay High School Rugby Zone title with a convincing 58-10 victory over the Selkirk Storm from Kimberley Wednesday afternoon at the Lakeside Pitch.However, the joy of victory quickly turned sour as the Bombers lost a few more key players from an already depleted lineup.“It was a good game for us but we suffered another ankle injury and one of our players (Jake Lock) may have broken his hand,” said Bomber coach Michael Joyce.The Bombers probably lost key player John Katountas for the season with an ankle injury while Simon Yole also did not play in the zone final.Jake Lock was off to the hospital to get x-rays on his injury hand.The Bombers, undefeated against Kootenay opposition this season, rode the strong play of Lock and Louis Locksnik to a 27-10 halftime lead. In the second half the Bombers played better on the defensive side of the ball as the hosts piled on more points.Lock finished the contest with three tries while Louis Locksnik added two major scores.The Bombers now advance to the B.C. Rugby Championships May 30 to June 2.First up for the seventh-ranked Bombers — the highest ranking for a rugby team from LVR — in the recent AA poll, is the tenth-ranked team.The game, against a still to be determined opponent, is being played Saturday, May 26 in Kelowna.LVR then travels to Abbotsford for the remainder of the provincial tournament in Abbotsford.“It’s disheartening for sure,” Joyce said when asked about all the injuries on the eve of the provincials.“You definitely would like to go to provincials with the team that got you there.””But we practice (Thursday) so we’ll get out on the pitch to start to prepare for provincials,” he added.
Sawyer Hunt’s goal with 32 seconds left in the game sparked the Kimberley Dynamiters to a 4-3 victory over the Beaver Valley Nitehawks in Kootenay International Junior Hockey League Kootenay Conference Playoff action Friday in Fruitvale.The goal gives the defending KIJHL Champs a 3-0 stranglehold on the best-of-seven Conference Final Series.Game four is Saturday at the Hawks Nest in Fruitvale.Beaver Valley, leading for most of the game, squandered leads of 2-0 and 3-2. The latter lead coming when Sam Swanson scored what appeared to be the winning marker with six plus minutes remaining in the third period.However, Tyler Van Steinburg scored the tying goal with three minutes remaining in the third period setting the stage for Hunt, a Nelson Minor Hockey grad, to put a dagger into the Hawks hopes of rallying in the Kootenay Conference Series.Kimberley out shot the Hawks 46-28 in the game, including a 20-6 margin in the third period.Tanner Witt scored the other goals for the Nitros.Allan Pruss and Dylan Heppler also scored for Beaver Valley, which lost the opening games of the series to Kimberley by scores of 6-1 and 4-2 in the Bavarian City.Kimberley advanced to the Kootenay Conference Series with wins over Fernie Ghostriders and Creston Valley Thunder Cats while the Hawks won the Murdoch Division Crown with wins over Nelson Leafs and Grand Forks Border Bruins.In the Okanagan/Shuswap Conference Final, 100 Mile House leads Summerland Steam 2-1 with Game four Saturday in Summerland.
Two US Army Veterans will be completing a protest walk in Malin Head next week after walking from Limerick to Donegal.Ken Mayers and Tarak Kauff, two former US servicemen, were arrested in March facing charges of trespassing and criminal damage at Shannon Airport. The men were accused of an alleged security breach for attempting to ‘inspect’ a plane.Released on bail, the duo began a ‘Boots on the Ground for Freedom’ walk in a bid to return home to their families and to promote peace. The protest movement began on 7th September. Mayers and Kauff will arrive in Letterkenny on Saturday 21st September and walk in stages to Bridgend and then from Buncrana to Malin Head, They intend to arrive at the “Eire” stone sign at Malin Head on Friday 27 September. US Veterans bringing ‘walk for freedom’ to Donegal was last modified: September 17th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)