January 14

Ebola-Affected Children Face Uncertain Future

first_imgThe children affected by the deadly Ebola Virus appeared to be facing a uncertain future,  due lack of support from unwilling relatives to adopt them.Presently there are about eight children who are said to have  been abandoned or become orphans owing to the death of either their mother or father—or both—from the hands of Ebola virus.The children, most of them below 10 years of age, are said to be sheltering in a building provided by the Ganta Methodist Hospital situated close to the ETU and they are being cared for by the ETU administration.Onenkeh Kokeh, a volunteer, who is heading those that caring for the kids, said beside the food provided from the ETU, there is no other assistance coming to the children.Some of the children are so terrified whenever they see an ambulance coming toward their hostel.“We are three here caring for these children; we are  scheduled by night to sleep here with them,” she added.She explained that some of the children parents died from the deadly Ebola Virus, while still undergoing treatment from Ebola at the ETU either in Nimba or elsewhere in Liberia.Some of the children were seem playing rubber ball and dashing on ground.  As this  reporter entered the compound, they appeared  healthy, but without any good clothing. “This two-year old boy lost his mother and father and is currently infected and undergoing treatment, but whenever, he sees ambulance or the dead body car coming, he will run indoors and stay inside for the rest of the day,” she said.The issue pertaining to Ebola- affected children is creating concern among the Ganta Ebola Task Force and they are appealing to relatives to accept their lost relatives’ children.On Wednesday, October 15th 2014, the Ganta Task Force resettled four children with  their relatives in the town called Sehwee around the Seclapea region after they had spent over a month in a home where their mother was killed by Ebola.President Sirleaf, during her tour of Nimba recently,  appealed to the citizens to accept the children who lost their parents whenever they go through the medical proceeding successfully. “They are our children; we cannot neglect them,” she told the local leaders in Sanniquellie.Because of abandonment or neglect, nobody was willing to adopt them, despite graduating from their 21-day successful completion of quarantine. They were resettled with other relatives after some frantic negotiations.Although, the ETU in Ganta is said to be fully operating, yet  unconfirmed reports reaching the Daily Observer say there is still shortages of PPEs and needed supplies for the running of the facility.Complaints of attractive incentives could be heard among health workers at the center.However, the Medical Doctor at the ETU Dr. Paye N. Gbanmie, is appealing to the public not to underestimate the disease and come to the center whenever they observe and sign or symptom.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

January 12

GPL promises quicker response time to customers’ emergency calls

first_imgThe Guyana Power and Light (GPL) has promised that customers reporting emergencies no longer have to wait 24 hours for a response from the power company as it is moving to foster a better relationship with its consumers.Director of Customer Services at GPL, Rhonda LafarIn the past, the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) provided a one-day window to respond to emergencies reported by customers, however, the company plans to reduce that waiting time to 12 hours. This is according to Director of Customer Services at GPL, Rhonda Lafar.“As it relates to the responsiveness, we are working on increasing our teams, and we have also reduced our response time. So if you call the call centre to make a report, sometimes you will be told it will be done within 24 hours, we have reduced that response time to 12 hours,” Lafar said.She stated that this is among several new measures implemented by GPL to ensure customers stay satisfied and obtain value for money in the services provided by GPL.“So you should have a team coming to your location within 12 hours, if it is a minor emergency, they can fix it. If it is major, it may take a little longer but you should have some action within 12 hours. We are working as much as possible as soon as we get reports to see how soon we can actually have the crews at your location to have your problem resolved.”Lafar noted that many persons have difficulties in paying their bills on time because of their busy schedules and the lack of time to visit a GPL location or due to other reasons beyond their control.Considering this, GPL is pushing customers to make use of the payment location agents countrywide and cautioned against waiting until the due date of a bill to make a payment.“We have banks, you can pay online through your bank account, we have BillExpress, Surepay, Mobile Money and we have the Guyana Post Office, all of these are options that bills can be paid at. The account is updated within 24 hours so customers do not have to be afraid of paying at an agent and saying their account is not updated. But I would advise to don’t wait until the due date to pay at an agent, these are easier ways to pay your bill versus coming into GPL and joining a line.”She added that there are numerous agents countrywide and closer to many customers than a GPL office so it would be more convenient for customers to utilise the services that the bill payment agents offer.last_img read more

January 11

Suspect in wife’s dismemberment arrested

first_imgThe helicopter crew, dispatched from the U.S. Coast Guard station in Traverse City, spotted fresh footprints in the snow and guided ground searchers in Grant’s direction, Lt. Jeremy Loeb said. “We could see where he’d lay down, get up, lay down again,” Wallin said. After an all-night search,Grant was found about 6:30 a.m. near Big Sucker Creek, which flows into Lake Michigan, about three miles from where he abandoned the truck. The Grants have a 6-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy who were staying with relatives. In a statement released through the hospital, Grant said Sunday that he misses his children. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! HARBOR SPRINGS, Mich. – Wearing neither coat nor shoes, a fugitive suspected of killing and dismembering his wife was found hiding under a fallen tree Sunday in a snowbound state park after a bitterly cold night on the run, authorities said. Police tracked down Stephen Grant about 225 miles north of the suburban Detroit community where body parts believed to be those of his wife were discovered. He was in stable condition and was being treated for frostbite and hypothermia under police guard at a hospital. Grant was wearing only slacks, a shirt and socks when he was captured nearly 10 hours after he abandoned a truck and set out on foot in Wilderness State Park near the tip of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, Emmet County Sheriff Pete Wallin said. He had no weapons and did not resist. “I don’t think he probably could have made it much longer in those kind of conditions,” Wallin said during a news conference. “I wouldn’t want to be out there unless I was dressed for it.” Grant, 37, will be returned to Macomb County for arraignment in the death of Tara Lynn Grant, a 34-year-old businesswoman and mother of two who disappeared last month. A torso found in the family home and other body parts found in a park near their home were believed to be hers. Tara Grant last was seen Feb. 9, and police said the couple had argued that day over her business travels abroad. Her husband reported her missing five days later; he has steadfastly maintained his innocence. Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said Stephen Grant fled in a friend’s pickup Friday hours after police executed a search warrant on the home in Washington Township. Deputies traced calls from his cell phone and a withdrawal from an automatic teller machine, Wallin said. After finding the truck just south of the isolated Lake Michigan park, police with a tracking dog searched on foot and snowmobile, aided by a Coast Guard helicopter. They pounded on doors and warned occupants of nearby homes and the handful of cabins inside the park. “We didn’t know what we were up against,” Wallin said. “We knew he was suicidal, we knew he could be armed.” last_img read more