Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Svitolina, the only seeded player still in contention in her quarter, had five aces, only 11 unforced errors and didn’t serve a double fault in the 59-minute match.Kostyuk sobbed into a towel in the tunnel soon after leaving the court, but could joke about the defeat when asked later what she could take out of the experience.“Well, a lot,” she said. “How much you have to pay Svitolina to have one-hour lesson? I got it for free.”Kostyuk received entry into qualifying because of her junior girls’ victory last year at the Australian Open. She won all three qualifying matches, then her first two in the main draw.Svitolina will next play Denisa Allertova, who beat Magda Linette 6-1, 6-4.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments Lillard leads Trail Blazers past Pacers Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina, right, is embraced by compatriot Marta Kostyuk after winning their third round match against compatriot at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Friday, Jan. 19, 2018. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)MELBOURNE, Australia — Elina Svitolina ended 15-year-old Marta Kostyuk’s run at the Australian Open, met her at the net for a warm embrace and offered some words of encouragement.With the temperature hitting 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) for the second straight day, fourth-seeded Svitolina reached the fourth round at the season-opening major for the first time with the 6-2, 6-2 win on Rod Laver Arena.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “It was sad playing another Ukrainian girl, same country is always tough,” Svitolina, one of five women in contention for the No. 1 ranking, said. “She’s a great fighter. She has a great future — we’re going to hear a lot more about her.”Kostyuk entered the tournament ranked No. 521 — a number that will likely be halved next month — and had wins over 25th-seeded Peng Shuai and Olivia Rogowska to become the youngest player to win main-draw matches at the Australian Open since Martina Hingis in 1996.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkThe step up to facing a top 10 player was too much for Kostyuk on Friday.She had nine double faults, including on match point, and only got 37 percent of her first serves into play. Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends PLAY LIST 08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends01:02Fans fill up Philippine Arena for SEA Games opening00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES In the opening match on Rod Laver Arena, Petra Martic celebrated her 27th birthday with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 over Thai qualifier Luksika Kumkhum.“That was really ugly,” Martic said of the heat. “We were lucky to play on Rod Laver because we had some shade behind so you could hide for a few seconds in between the points.“Other than that, it’s just, you just need to be mentally tough and ready to just suffer out there.”Elise Mertens needed four match points before clinching a 7-5, 6-4 win over Alize Cornet, who needed a medical time out in the second set after complaining of being short of breath. After having her blood pressure taken and being draped in ice towels, she was able to continue and play seven more games.Mertens will meet Martic in the next round.The temperature was forecast to hit 42 C (108 F) but a weather change in the afternoon eased conditions slightly.Kyle Edmund was the first man into the fourth round, overcoming Nikoloz Basilashvili 7-6 (0), 3-6, 4-6, 6-0, 7-5 in 3 ½ hours on open court in the peak of the heat.No. 10 Pablo Carreno Busta had a 7-6 (4), 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 win over No. 23 Gilles Muller. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
In this sixth and concluding article of the series on what happens to Liberia after the Ebola crisis the focus is on the role of everyone, every partner in post Ebola Liberia. What are we doing now as the government, media, internal partners, inter-religious community, civil society organizations, teachers, traditional leaders, and communities in the fight against Ebola that will serve us well in attending to some of the post Ebola challenges that will inevitably follow? What lessons can everyone involved learn to deal with the aftermath of Ebola and other future emergencies, and making our society safer and better for all? Let us find out. The fifth article on the role of the religious community made the following observations:The role of the faith based institutions in fighting Ebola and in dealing with post Ebola concerns cannot be overemphasized. Most Liberian believers who have considerable influence in the nation are either Christians or Muslims. I am aware that there are others who may be African traditional believers or some other religions but the most influential are Christians and Muslims. These two religious groups fall under the umbrella of the Liberian Council of Churches (LCC) and National Muslim Council of Liberia (NMCL). All the mainline Churches (Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, etc.) and some Pentecostal denominations are members of the LCC. Again I am aware that there are some Churches and Mosques that do not fall under the LCC and NMCL and they too are involved in some ways. Most of what I am sharing about the involvement of the religious community with Ebola fight is specific to the Inter-Religious Council of Liberia (IRCL) headed by Archbishop Jonathan B. B. Hart and Sheikh Kafumba F. Konneh.This group is collaborating and coordinating the interventions of Churches and Mosques in the national response to Ebola. They are making as parts of their sermons Ebola messages and awareness, training and dialoguing with their members about Ebola prevention and care for its victims, and providing relief and practical support.Recently the IRCL sent pastors and imams in pairs (one pastor and one imam) to five affected counties, Bomi, Bong, Cape Mount, Lofa, and Nimba to hold training sessions and dialogues with over 300 pastors and imams about Ebola. The trainings and dialogues emphasized religious practices that are deemed dangerous with regard to the spread of Ebola and why they must be suspended now in order to save the living. It was stressed how these pastors and imams must be involved at every level: county, district and community. They can help their communities isolate and care for suspected cases and their affected households, and support victims get treatment while protecting themselves and others. More of such interventions are planned to be implemented soon by the IRCL. A large segment of people are excited to see Muslims and Christians working together for the common good.This brings us to the role of everyone. The health experts inform us that we are now at the second phase of the war against Ebola. The first phase went through a lot of denial, the spreading of the virus disease out of control, panic and fear and then the overwhelming of everyone concerned and involved. Then support from the international community began to come in numbers, and then the government, local and international partners began to learn from early mistakes, acquired new skills and techniques in handling the emergency, and made some considerable progress.The good news is that the rate of infection is declining in many parts of the countries with some notable exceptions. Phase two is a great opportunity and is at the same time a big risk. This is a great opportunity if we accelerate our gains and kick this deadly virus out of the country and the region, and a grave risk if we become complacent. The gains made thus far is the result of the combined efforts of everyone—the government, media, internal partners, inter-religious community, teachers, civil society organizations, traditional leaders, and communities.The biggest lesson, for me, is the unity and consolidation of efforts to fight and defeat a common enemy. We can use this everyone contributing a part of the whole of district to district, community to community, and house to house approach to deal with many of our societal and communal problems and improve our life as whole. Can we use the same approach to deal with future emergencies and in attending to the many problems we have in the areas of health, education, economy, agriculture, and in fighting corruption? Can we, for example, knowing the rich variety of food crops of the land and their excellent nutritional value come up with a practical program of healthy dieting for everyone and do a community to community, and house to house effort until the program is caught and practiced like we are doing with Ebola. I am sure we can do the same in most areas of need. We can do a community to community, and house to house in the area of good security until a tangible result is yielded. And the list can go on. Ebola has hurt and exposed us but it can be an opportunity for us to make us better.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) has promised that customers reporting emergencies no longer have to wait 24 hours for a response from the power company as it is moving to foster a better relationship with its consumers.Director of Customer Services at GPL, Rhonda LafarIn the past, the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) provided a one-day window to respond to emergencies reported by customers, however, the company plans to reduce that waiting time to 12 hours. This is according to Director of Customer Services at GPL, Rhonda Lafar.“As it relates to the responsiveness, we are working on increasing our teams, and we have also reduced our response time. So if you call the call centre to make a report, sometimes you will be told it will be done within 24 hours, we have reduced that response time to 12 hours,” Lafar said.She stated that this is among several new measures implemented by GPL to ensure customers stay satisfied and obtain value for money in the services provided by GPL.“So you should have a team coming to your location within 12 hours, if it is a minor emergency, they can fix it. If it is major, it may take a little longer but you should have some action within 12 hours. We are working as much as possible as soon as we get reports to see how soon we can actually have the crews at your location to have your problem resolved.”Lafar noted that many persons have difficulties in paying their bills on time because of their busy schedules and the lack of time to visit a GPL location or due to other reasons beyond their control.Considering this, GPL is pushing customers to make use of the payment location agents countrywide and cautioned against waiting until the due date of a bill to make a payment.“We have banks, you can pay online through your bank account, we have BillExpress, Surepay, Mobile Money and we have the Guyana Post Office, all of these are options that bills can be paid at. The account is updated within 24 hours so customers do not have to be afraid of paying at an agent and saying their account is not updated. But I would advise to don’t wait until the due date to pay at an agent, these are easier ways to pay your bill versus coming into GPL and joining a line.”She added that there are numerous agents countrywide and closer to many customers than a GPL office so it would be more convenient for customers to utilise the services that the bill payment agents offer.
A leading lawnmower supplier has warned people to have their lawnmowers serviced ahead of the grass-cutting season – or face thousands of euros in damage.Kevin Gallinagh of Letterkenny Tool Hire says the sound of lawnmowers up and down the county is not too far away.However he said he wants to advise people that now is the time to get the lawnmowers, including ride-on mowers, out of the garage. “A lot of people don’t realise that lawnmowers, especially ride-on lawnmowers, are very like small cars.“They need to have their engines checked and oil changed regularly and now is the time to do that.“People will start thinking about cutting their grass form as early as the end as February.“More often than not people will simply need a quick oil change and an overall examination. “It’s better to do that now rather than to watch their lawnmowers break down altogether,” he said.Kevin can be contacted on 087 2203307 or 0749122958. LAWNMOWER MANS WARNS – YOU CAN KISS YOUR GRASS GOODBYE! was last modified: February 3rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Kevin GallinaghLetterkenny Tool Hireride-on lawnmoers